For some reason I always forget about spaghetti squash! It’s the perfect alternative for pasta, and it really adds a unique flavor that you can’t get from regular noodles. Check out this recipe below!
- 1 medium spaghetti squash
- 1 lb venison sausage (or Italian sausage)
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup diced white onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 16oz half and half
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp parsley
- 2 cups fresh arugula (1 3/4 cups for cooking, 1/4 cup for garnish)
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- To make cutting the squash easier, cut 3-4 slits down the center length wise and place in the microwave for five minutes. Then place the squash on a cutting board and cut it in half! Scoop out the seeds, and place face down on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Time to cook the venison! Place a large pan over medium heat and add in the venison(or sausage). Ground up into pieces until no longer pink, and then drain all of the grease out.
- Remove squash from the oven and set aside. Add mushrooms, onions, and minced garlic into the large pan that was used to cook the sausage. Once they begin to soften, add in the half and half, and stir continuously for 1-2 minutes. Add in the pepper, salt, garlic powder, and parsley.
- Add the venison sausage back into the large pan with the half and half mixture and stir together. Allow to simmer and thicken up, then add 1 3/4 cups of the arugula and the broccoli florets. Combine all together and let simmer for another 2-3 minutes.
- Almost time to eat! Take a fork and scrape out the spaghetti squash noodles. In a large pot add in the sauce and noodles and mix together.
- Scope the pasta mixture back into spaghetti squash shell. Feel free to add a dash of fresh Parmesan cheese too, along with some more arugula. ENJOY! It’s just as good the next day too!!
Leave a Reply