I know that it’s winter and this might sound like more of a summer recipe, but I personally love it anytime of year! I like to make it into a big bowl and just serve it from there. The fresh greens and other ingredients really bring it together for a great lunch or dinner. If it was summer, I’d be grilling the chicken for this recipe! But this one calls for a crockpot instead. Check out the recipe below!
- 3 boneless chicken breasts, seasoned with salt and pepper
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 cup bbq sauce
- 2 huge handfuls of mixed greens
- 1 can organic sweet corn (frozen works too)
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tomato sliced to your liking – I like to change it up and do big chunks!
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- Optional garnish: chopped green onions, mozzarella cheese, and crushed blue corn tortilla chips
- Place your seasoned chicken breasts in your crockpot. Top with sliced onions and bbq sauce of choice. By adding the onions in at this time, it gives them a caramelized taste by the end! Cook on high for 3-4 hours or until chicken is cooked through.
- Once your chicken is cooked, remove from the crockpot and shred it. Then put it back in for about 20-30 minutes.
- Warm your corn and black beans at this time. They should each only take about 5-7 minutes.
- Time to assemble! Place your mixed greens in a medium bowl to start your salad base. Add in your corn and black beans. Scoop your chicken into the center of your salad. Then add the tomato chunks and avocado around the outside.
- Garnish the top with a little cheese, green onions, and blue corn tortilla chips!